April 30, 2020

The Starving Artist Challenge Introduction

Challenge Rules Link:  Starving Artist Challenge for The Sims 2

This Challenge was released way back in 2006, and here it is 2020.  So it is fourteen years old.  The last EP for TS 2 Apartment Life was released in August of 2008, then stuff pack Mansions and Gardens in November of the same year, so I am sure that when this challenge was written it was probably a real challenge without all the perks that FreeTime offered.  I got a hold of it a few days ago and thought I would give it a go.

The rules aren't real specific, and leave a lot to interpretation.  I am thinking about the general spirit of the Challenge, and that is to make money to expand the home and family using money ONLY derived from painting and writing novels. I do not think this will be hard, the hardest being the first couple of generations. 

You MAY sell off date gift items.  Not mentioned but I think the "example to mess around with" from new acquaintances should be included in this category.

You MAY marry/move in service NPCs, but they must adhere to the same rules, as in no job.  Must paint or write novels.  If you do decide to move a Service NPC in, you will lose a point for moving someone in but to offset that, the benefit of having another money producer in the home is greater as there are points connected to amount of money brought in.  Not included in this are Townies/Downtownies due to the simoleon perks.  They usually have a nice bank account and high paying jobs...  They are totally off limits!

You MAY NOT have a job outside the home, or making money at home except through painting or novel writing.  This means no selling fish, garden items, raised puppies or kittens, Fortune Sim financial counseling or investing in the stock market are off the plate....see what I mean.   No utilizing solar energy to get the electric company to PAY YOU.  There is a scoring system in place which I will utilize if only to remind myself what the rules are if anything else.

I do plan to keep an eye on the scoring system/rules to see if they can be updated to take into consideration FreeTime perks.   As you will see if you carry on with this challenge and read Generation 1, I had twins perk turned on for my founder.  See what happened!

I did add one item to the scoring  from the get-go not in the rules.  LTW Realized.  If the LTW isn't job related and it is possible to fulfill it there are a couple of points for doing it.

The Rules don't address how to handle the "passing of the torch" so to speak....from one generation to the next.  I am thinking the youngest will be the new heir.  When he/she ages up to adult if there is no room for their child then each sibling moves out as room is needed.  I plan to make them townies.  Or provide ghost colors.  *wink*.  But they must be the vehicle to make room.  The retiring heir may truly retire and stay to take care of children, and die of old age. 

In setting up this hood, I did not attach any sub neighborhoods, and probably will not until a challenge demands it.  For townies I kept the ones the game conjured up, plus I added my favorite Sims from my old Prosperity Challenge Prosperity Falls, and a couple from my Wishes neighborhood.  In the making of the Challenge Sims in CAS, I took what the screen showed me.  Yup, I left it up to chance.  For our founding teen down there, I made her parents, then used Face Blend in CAS to make her.  Her dad was then deleted.  I am lucky, got pretty good looking Sims there.  :-)

So.  Let's get on with it.  Presenting - The Starving Artist Challenge.  Hope you enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment